Tuesday, March 10, 2009

First Steps

My husband and I went to see my brother-in-law in his high school musical last week. He was the main character and was absolutely amazing. To stay on topic, my husband's cousin was there with her 5 month old son, who was born 2 weeks before Emerson. It literally brought tears to my eyes to see how much more advanced he was developmentally than Emmy. He was sitting up, holding his own head up, reaching for things, and laughing. Emerson does not do any of that. I could not help but be sad for Emerson, and us as parents.

This all being said, Emerson starts first steps tomorrow. She meets with an occupational therapist and will meet with a developmental therapist next week. I am very excited for her. I think it will be very good for her, and for me to learn how to work with her and help her grow and become stronger. I know changes won't happen overnight, but I believe with a lot of hard work and a positive attitude, she will succeed. I will post later and let everyone know how she does.

We are also following up with the surgeon who did Emerson's G-tube and nissen on Thursday. He will show me how to change her feeding tube (terrifying) and what to do if it gets pulled out. I am also excited because for the past 6 weeks (her healing period) she hasn't been able to have tummy time. I hope that the re-introduction of this into her routine will help her neck become stronger and hopefully be able to hold her head up on her own in a few months. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lindsey...
    I totally understand how you are feeling! I struggled with it a lot!! We lived in a small town with no family and a TON of kids Hailey's age...it was so hard not to compare! However, we did not have a diagnosis...so I had major doubts and thought I was doing something wrong and that they would look at me like I was a bad mom! I couldn't get her to roll over for the life of me...and then she would do it once...and then it would take months for her to do it again!
    I was so thankful to finally get a diagnosis when she was 3! I felt this burden lifted off...and suddenly many (not all) of my insecurities went away...because she is the way she is because she has WS.
    I felt like I was so busy comparing Hailey to the other kids...that I often didn't notice the things that she did do well...smile! :) These truly are the happiest kids ever and as little Emmy grows you will notice...people will LOVE her in a way that is so special! Sorry this is such a long comment...I just wanted to encourage you because I know EXACTLY what you are going through!

    ReplyDelete


Who knew they made hospital gowns for babies?!?